Friday, February 4, 2011

Poppy Seed Bread

This is the ever-famous, often-coveted, poppy seed bread recipe that everyone asks me for.  It is absolutely wonderful and completely sinful at the same time.  I usually do not give out this recipe because I like to have it all to myself and be the only one who know how to make it!  ; )  If you make this recipe, you have to promise me that you will only use the best ingredients and do not make any substitutions.  I know that I usually try to make recipes healthier, but you cannot do that with this recipe.  I have tried and failed.  It is what it is and must remain completely rich and decadent.  Are you ready?  Here we go...  Just as a note, I do not use a mixer for this recipe.  I mix it all by hand.

Preheat oven to 350.
Spray 10 small (3x5) loaf pans with cooking spray and place on large baking sheet.  You can use larger loaf pans but will have to adjust the cooking time.

Combine
     6 eggs
     2 1/2 cups oil
     4 1/2 cups sugar

Beat well then add
     3 cups milk
     1 T almond extract
     1 T butter extract
     1 T vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients
     6 cups (1 1/2 lbs) flour
     1 T salt
     1 T baking powder
     1 T poppy seeds

Add gradually to the liquid mixture.  Blend well.
Divide evenly into the prepared pans.  Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes.  Make sure you rotate your pans at about 20 minutes, then again at 40 minutes so that they cook evenly.

While the bread is baking, make the glaze.  Stir the glaze occasionally to help dissolve the sugar.  Do not heat this mixture, it is supposed to be gritty.

     1/2 cup orange juice
     1 1/2 cup sugar
     1 T almond extract
     1 T butter extract
     1 T vanilla extract

Remove the bread from the oven.  Allow to cool 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and place on cooling rack.  You may want to put wax paper under your cooling rack for ease of clean up.  Brush the glaze over the bread every 15 minutes or so until all of the glaze is gone.  Let the bread sit out for several hours or overnight to dry.  (Just beware of little ones who get up in the middle of the night to sample the bread - Elliott and Kyle when they were 4 & 2).  This bread freezes well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.